Tag Archives: photoshop

MourneQuest Book Cover

Cob - MourneQuest

This is a digital painting I did a while back for Garry McElherron, based on one of his characters, Cob, from his MourneQuest book. As well as The Shimnavore, it was another collaboration with John Farrelly who originally did the pencil sketch, you can see over on John’s website.

Garry has since released the book on Lulu, and he’s used this as the cover illustration, very exciting. I’d advise going over and taking a look. It’s a great read, and seems set to being a best seller soon, once it becomes readily available in your nearest good bookshop. Keep an eye out for it.

Judge Death

Another Dredd fanart sketch, always loved Judge Death, I always found his helmet was much easier to draw than Dredd’s anyway. I was going to do a bit more rendering on this, but I kinda like how flat and understated the cloud is compared to his head, so I’m gonna leave it as is.

Tikky pen on Bristol Board, coloured in Photoshop.

Sketch dump #1

Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!

Hexumi Page 4 and 5 Flats

Getting a little more done with the Hexumi comic. I finally managed to get my hands on some blue pencil lead for my Tikky mechanical pencil from my local art shop, which was a nice surprise considering it seems to be so hard to get these days. It’s freed me up a bit since I don’t need to worry about rubbing out the pencils and destroying the paper surface. Also, between doing pages 4 and 5 I bought a pad of Windsor & Newton 250gsm Bristol Board. I’ve read about comic artists using Bristol Board in the past but I’d never managed to get my hands on it, I’ve been using ordinary cartridge paper up to now. It’s great with my G-Pen, runs really smoothly, hence why there’s a bit more detail in the fifth page. The line work has bit less bleed too and I’m finding the inking less of a chore since I’m getting a lot closer to the type of line work I want. I’m looking forward to trying out some watercolour on the Bristol Board to see how well it holds up.

I thought I’d share the flats with you this time round, saying as you haven’t seen any colour from it yet. Trying to keep it quite colourful, since it is aimed towards a younger teen crowd (I think). I’ve got a nice little colour palette gathered up so far for the flats.

But we’ll see how all the pages sit once they’re together (probably in 2015 if I don’t get a move on with it!) Hope you like, let me know!

Miniature Character Design – Monarchy vampire concepts

Following on from my previous designs for Table Warfare, I’ve made a slight style change to the sketches. I pencilled them out then inked them up with Rotring Tikky pens and a Sharpie for the big blacks, then scanned them into Photoshop where I gave them a bit of texture and depth. I think they make for clearer and stronger images. I’ve added two mages to the vampire roster too. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Miniature Character Design – Male Lamia Vampire concept

Here’s another concept design for the Monarchy Game, done in the same style as the previous. I ended up redrawing his head and Photoshopping it over the original pencil drawing. Not sure yet how well this will work as a sculpt and mould but hopefully it should be okay.

 

Miniature Character Design – Female Lamia Vampire concept

I’ve been asked by Table Warfare to produce a few character designs, which will eventually be sculpted into miniatures for their game Monarchy. I produced a few rough thumbnail sketches for poses to run past Oliver. This is the  sketch for a female vampire which I produced using the Brushes app on the iPhone.
I wanted the finished art to be a pencil sketch so it could also be used for artwork for the website if necessary. Here’s the pencil sketch which was scanned and worked up in Photoshop with a bit of colour and a few textures thrown into the back ground. I’m going to try to keep this style for all the character designs. I’m really excited to see her in her sculpted form.

Painting a Minotaur: Part 3

Woohoo, at last, here’s the third and final part of the Minotaur painting. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I still think I’d have liked to work some more on his face. I also like how the background looks, it really helps to give it a lot of depth. I’ve spent approximately 7 hours on the whole thing. Here’s the final image, let me know what you think…


Painting a Minotaur: Part 2

Here’s part 2 of the Minotaur timelapse. I was hoping there would only be two parts, but I really got sucked into it. One good thing is that I’ll be able to see exactly how long I’ve spent on this from my screen recordings. I’m guessing Part 3 will be the last.

Painting a Minotaur: Part 1

I’ve been doing a few more rough sketches for Conflicting Kingdoms and I’ve been trying to settle on a few designs for minotaurs which will be included in some of the paintings. Some of the other artists have already done a lot of the minotaur cards, I always like to try to get a new creature design right before I start incorporating them into a full-blown illo. Then I decided to take one of them a bit further and paint him up, since I hadn’t done any painting for a wee while. I’m still working on it, but here’s Part 1 of the time-lapse. Keep an eye open for Part 2.