Here’s the final inks for the Fae race for the Monarchy game I did a while back and didn’t get around to posting. These were fun to do since they were bit different from the other designs. I came up with a kind of pin-up/female pirate look for these characters which seemed to work out nicely. I’m particularly happy with the Sylph and the Fae. I’ve included the colour versions too, can’t remember who coloured them, I always imagined the Sylph having blonde hair, but I particularly like how the Faerie came out, especially her wings.
It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted anything, thought it was about time to share some stuff I’d been working on. These are some more concept sketches for Oliver Piotrowski for his online game Monarchy. I’d previously designed some vampires characters.
These characters are elven in design, and very magic oriented. I wanted to stay away from the usual clothing that elves are depicted with in a bid to make their appearance look a bit more unique. I felt my initial attempts made them a little too druidic looking, so I decided to try out a more ’emo’ feel to them. I’d also played around with giving them tattoos and markings with a triangular theme, but again I thought this made them a little too scholarly. Instead I kept the triangle theme and adapted it into their outfits, to try to give them a little consistency in their clothing.
There are five troop types in total, and I’ve already inked up three, so I’ll wait until I’ve finished the other two before I post them up.
I’ve just finished creating this logo for Richard Eddon over at The Hairy Painter, to use for his new miniatures rule system which he’s working on. Modelled in Blender and rendered with Cycles. I also did a little bit of post work in Photoshop. Not much, just touching up a few fireflies, cleaning up some reflections I wasn’t happy with, adding a few glints and highlights here and there and some colour correction.
Here’s a few wip images from the process.
And here are a few Blender screenshots of the finished model to keep you Blenderheads happy! If you’re wondering what all the hemispheres are in the last screenshot, there’s a great tutorial on Youtube from Scifi Animator about using them to light scenes in Blender Cycles, a great tip which I’ll be using again. Best new feature in Blender that I’m loving at the minute is the Inset tool (shortkey – ‘i’), it would have been a nightmare job trying to do those little borders without it.
Getting a little more done with the Hexumi comic. I finally managed to get my hands on some blue pencil lead for my Tikky mechanical pencil from my local art shop, which was a nice surprise considering it seems to be so hard to get these days. It’s freed me up a bit since I don’t need to worry about rubbing out the pencils and destroying the paper surface. Also, between doing pages 4 and 5 I bought a pad of Windsor & Newton 250gsm Bristol Board. I’ve read about comic artists using Bristol Board in the past but I’d never managed to get my hands on it, I’ve been using ordinary cartridge paper up to now. It’s great with my G-Pen, runs really smoothly, hence why there’s a bit more detail in the fifth page. The line work has bit less bleed too and I’m finding the inking less of a chore since I’m getting a lot closer to the type of line work I want. I’m looking forward to trying out some watercolour on the Bristol Board to see how well it holds up.
I thought I’d share the flats with you this time round, saying as you haven’t seen any colour from it yet. Trying to keep it quite colourful, since it is aimed towards a younger teen crowd (I think). I’ve got a nice little colour palette gathered up so far for the flats.
But we’ll see how all the pages sit once they’re together (probably in 2015 if I don’t get a move on with it!) Hope you like, let me know!
Here are the current set of Vampire concepts for Table Warfare for the online browser game at Monarchy.com as per my previous posts. At some stage in the not too distant future, these will be used as reference for some miniature character sculpts, I’m pretty very excited to see that happen.
There’s a few tweaks to some of the costumes partly because I didn’t like some of the designs and partly because I don’t think they were done very well! Really like the way these have progressed and I’m pretty pleased with how they’re looking now.
Following on from my previous designs for Table Warfare, I’ve made a slight style change to the sketches. I pencilled them out then inked them up with Rotring Tikky pens and a Sharpie for the big blacks, then scanned them into Photoshop where I gave them a bit of texture and depth. I think they make for clearer and stronger images. I’ve added two mages to the vampire roster too. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I’ve made a little progress on the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms, after finishing the cover. Below is the first page pencils and partial inks, plus the finished inks. As with the cover, I completed the inks using my G-pen and Pentel Brush Pen over the pencils, then scanned it to finished the colours and lettering in Photoshop. This is the first proper comic page I’ve even attempted in about 15 years and it did take a while from pencils to colours (I’ll save the finished coloured page for now, you’ll be able to see it when the whole things done). I’m glad I’ve got the first page done now, I’m hoping the rest won’t take quite as long. I think part of the reason for this one taking a wee while was partly because of the scene setting and the detail in the first frame. Even when I was doing the Market Card for the game, it was a little tricky designing the market, but hopefully it works well. The next couple of pages should be a bit easier, their mostly character conversations, with a little bit of action. Keep watching this space.