It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted anything, thought it was about time to share some stuff I’d been working on. These are some more concept sketches for Oliver Piotrowski for his online game Monarchy. I’d previously designed some vampires characters.
These characters are elven in design, and very magic oriented. I wanted to stay away from the usual clothing that elves are depicted with in a bid to make their appearance look a bit more unique. I felt my initial attempts made them a little too druidic looking, so I decided to try out a more ’emo’ feel to them. I’d also played around with giving them tattoos and markings with a triangular theme, but again I thought this made them a little too scholarly. Instead I kept the triangle theme and adapted it into their outfits, to try to give them a little consistency in their clothing.
There are five troop types in total, and I’ve already inked up three, so I’ll wait until I’ve finished the other two before I post them up.
This is a digital painting I did a while back for Garry McElherron, based on one of his characters, Cob, from his MourneQuest book. As well as The Shimnavore, it was another collaboration with John Farrelly who originally did the pencil sketch, you can see over on John’s website.
Garry has since released the book on Lulu, and he’s used this as the cover illustration, very exciting. I’d advise going over and taking a look. It’s a great read, and seems set to being a best seller soon, once it becomes readily available in your nearest good bookshop. Keep an eye out for it.
I’m not getting as much time as I’d like to get any finished drawings done these days, between one thing and another, but still I’m still managing to get a few sketches done here and there. Here’s a few randoms from my Moleskin.
Another Dredd fanart sketch, always loved Judge Death, I always found his helmet was much easier to draw than Dredd’s anyway. I was going to do a bit more rendering on this, but I kinda like how flat and understated the cloud is compared to his head, so I’m gonna leave it as is.
Tikky pen on Bristol Board, coloured in Photoshop.
Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!
Getting a little more done with the Hexumi comic. I finally managed to get my hands on some blue pencil lead for my Tikky mechanical pencil from my local art shop, which was a nice surprise considering it seems to be so hard to get these days. It’s freed me up a bit since I don’t need to worry about rubbing out the pencils and destroying the paper surface. Also, between doing pages 4 and 5 I bought a pad of Windsor & Newton 250gsm Bristol Board. I’ve read about comic artists using Bristol Board in the past but I’d never managed to get my hands on it, I’ve been using ordinary cartridge paper up to now. It’s great with my G-Pen, runs really smoothly, hence why there’s a bit more detail in the fifth page. The line work has bit less bleed too and I’m finding the inking less of a chore since I’m getting a lot closer to the type of line work I want. I’m looking forward to trying out some watercolour on the Bristol Board to see how well it holds up.
I thought I’d share the flats with you this time round, saying as you haven’t seen any colour from it yet. Trying to keep it quite colourful, since it is aimed towards a younger teen crowd (I think). I’ve got a nice little colour palette gathered up so far for the flats.
But we’ll see how all the pages sit once they’re together (probably in 2015 if I don’t get a move on with it!) Hope you like, let me know!
Here are the current set of Vampire concepts for Table Warfare for the online browser game at Monarchy.com as per my previous posts. At some stage in the not too distant future, these will be used as reference for some miniature character sculpts, I’m pretty very excited to see that happen.
There’s a few tweaks to some of the costumes partly because I didn’t like some of the designs and partly because I don’t think they were done very well! Really like the way these have progressed and I’m pretty pleased with how they’re looking now.
And here’s page 3. This one didn’t take quite as long, not as much scene setting details and mostly all character dialogue, I’ve stuck the speech bubbles on roughly to get a gauge of how the page is flowing but that is liable to change. Check out the other pages if you haven’t seen them yet.
Here’s pencils and inks for page 2 of the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms. The red ink is some amendments I made to the pencils after I’d scanned it into Photoshop to see how it would look (I really only scan the pencils to have a record of them before I ink them with the G-pen). Again, it’s a slow process with not much spare time, but the colouring is going a bit quicker now, so I’ll just keep plugging away at it.