Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!
Getting a little more done with the Hexumi comic. I finally managed to get my hands on some blue pencil lead for my Tikky mechanical pencil from my local art shop, which was a nice surprise considering it seems to be so hard to get these days. It’s freed me up a bit since I don’t need to worry about rubbing out the pencils and destroying the paper surface. Also, between doing pages 4 and 5 I bought a pad of Windsor & Newton 250gsm Bristol Board. I’ve read about comic artists using Bristol Board in the past but I’d never managed to get my hands on it, I’ve been using ordinary cartridge paper up to now. It’s great with my G-Pen, runs really smoothly, hence why there’s a bit more detail in the fifth page. The line work has bit less bleed too and I’m finding the inking less of a chore since I’m getting a lot closer to the type of line work I want. I’m looking forward to trying out some watercolour on the Bristol Board to see how well it holds up.
I thought I’d share the flats with you this time round, saying as you haven’t seen any colour from it yet. Trying to keep it quite colourful, since it is aimed towards a younger teen crowd (I think). I’ve got a nice little colour palette gathered up so far for the flats.
But we’ll see how all the pages sit once they’re together (probably in 2015 if I don’t get a move on with it!) Hope you like, let me know!
And here’s page 3. This one didn’t take quite as long, not as much scene setting details and mostly all character dialogue, I’ve stuck the speech bubbles on roughly to get a gauge of how the page is flowing but that is liable to change. Check out the other pages if you haven’t seen them yet.
Here’s pencils and inks for page 2 of the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms. The red ink is some amendments I made to the pencils after I’d scanned it into Photoshop to see how it would look (I really only scan the pencils to have a record of them before I ink them with the G-pen). Again, it’s a slow process with not much spare time, but the colouring is going a bit quicker now, so I’ll just keep plugging away at it.
I’ve made a little progress on the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms, after finishing the cover. Below is the first page pencils and partial inks, plus the finished inks. As with the cover, I completed the inks using my G-pen and Pentel Brush Pen over the pencils, then scanned it to finished the colours and lettering in Photoshop. This is the first proper comic page I’ve even attempted in about 15 years and it did take a while from pencils to colours (I’ll save the finished coloured page for now, you’ll be able to see it when the whole things done). I’m glad I’ve got the first page done now, I’m hoping the rest won’t take quite as long. I think part of the reason for this one taking a wee while was partly because of the scene setting and the detail in the first frame. Even when I was doing the Market Card for the game, it was a little tricky designing the market, but hopefully it works well. The next couple of pages should be a bit easier, their mostly character conversations, with a little bit of action. Keep watching this space.