Another Dredd fanart sketch, always loved Judge Death, I always found his helmet was much easier to draw than Dredd’s anyway. I was going to do a bit more rendering on this, but I kinda like how flat and understated the cloud is compared to his head, so I’m gonna leave it as is.
Tikky pen on Bristol Board, coloured in Photoshop.
Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!
Getting a little more done with the Hexumi comic. I finally managed to get my hands on some blue pencil lead for my Tikky mechanical pencil from my local art shop, which was a nice surprise considering it seems to be so hard to get these days. It’s freed me up a bit since I don’t need to worry about rubbing out the pencils and destroying the paper surface. Also, between doing pages 4 and 5 I bought a pad of Windsor & Newton 250gsm Bristol Board. I’ve read about comic artists using Bristol Board in the past but I’d never managed to get my hands on it, I’ve been using ordinary cartridge paper up to now. It’s great with my G-Pen, runs really smoothly, hence why there’s a bit more detail in the fifth page. The line work has bit less bleed too and I’m finding the inking less of a chore since I’m getting a lot closer to the type of line work I want. I’m looking forward to trying out some watercolour on the Bristol Board to see how well it holds up.
I thought I’d share the flats with you this time round, saying as you haven’t seen any colour from it yet. Trying to keep it quite colourful, since it is aimed towards a younger teen crowd (I think). I’ve got a nice little colour palette gathered up so far for the flats.
But we’ll see how all the pages sit once they’re together (probably in 2015 if I don’t get a move on with it!) Hope you like, let me know!
Here are the current set of Vampire concepts for Table Warfare for the online browser game at Monarchy.com as per my previous posts. At some stage in the not too distant future, these will be used as reference for some miniature character sculpts, I’m pretty very excited to see that happen.
There’s a few tweaks to some of the costumes partly because I didn’t like some of the designs and partly because I don’t think they were done very well! Really like the way these have progressed and I’m pretty pleased with how they’re looking now.
And here’s page 3. This one didn’t take quite as long, not as much scene setting details and mostly all character dialogue, I’ve stuck the speech bubbles on roughly to get a gauge of how the page is flowing but that is liable to change. Check out the other pages if you haven’t seen them yet.
Here’s pencils and inks for page 2 of the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms. The red ink is some amendments I made to the pencils after I’d scanned it into Photoshop to see how it would look (I really only scan the pencils to have a record of them before I ink them with the G-pen). Again, it’s a slow process with not much spare time, but the colouring is going a bit quicker now, so I’ll just keep plugging away at it.
I’ve made a little progress on the Hexumi comic for Conflicting Kingdoms, after finishing the cover. Below is the first page pencils and partial inks, plus the finished inks. As with the cover, I completed the inks using my G-pen and Pentel Brush Pen over the pencils, then scanned it to finished the colours and lettering in Photoshop. This is the first proper comic page I’ve even attempted in about 15 years and it did take a while from pencils to colours (I’ll save the finished coloured page for now, you’ll be able to see it when the whole things done). I’m glad I’ve got the first page done now, I’m hoping the rest won’t take quite as long. I think part of the reason for this one taking a wee while was partly because of the scene setting and the detail in the first frame. Even when I was doing the Market Card for the game, it was a little tricky designing the market, but hopefully it works well. The next couple of pages should be a bit easier, their mostly character conversations, with a little bit of action. Keep watching this space.
I also bought myself a Deleter G-Pen and Ink from DinkyBox.co.uk, along with some Deleter comic paper, but I’m not so keen on how the surface held up to erasing the pencils. It would probably be great to use with a blue pencil and inking over that, or with a light box, however I think I’m going to stick to thick cartridge paper for now, since it seems to be holding up well with the G-Pen. I’ve also been utilising my Pentel Brush Pen which I bought last year readily available in Eason or WHSmith. Once you get a bit of practice with it, it’s great for texturing and solid blacks. The particular version of Type 4 Deleter ink works great with the G-Pen and washes off it easily, but it doesn’t fill well.
This all relates to what I am currently working on. The guys at Conflicting Kingdoms are producing promotional comics to promote the card game, and since I had already worked on the Hexumi deck, I’ve now started to work on the first issue of the Hexumi comic. Time is at a bit of a premium with me at the moment though, so its going to be slow process, but once we get the script finalised it should get a bit faster. In the meantime, here are the pencil and inks for the cover, done with the G-Pen on the Deleter paper. I’ll hold off on showing the colours for now, we’ll leave that til the comics come out!