Tag Archives: character design

So the guys at Backspindle Games have finally got their hands on the 3d masters of the figures for the MourneQuest board game and I have to say the pic looks fantastic. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a hands on look over the holidays for a closer inspection. It’s been so exciting waiting to see the final versions of my sculpts, produced from John Farrelly’s artwork and sculpted in Blender. Roll on May-(ish) for the release.

Clubber King painted

So I finally got around to painting up my Shapeways printed model of Clubber King. I hadn’t painted a miniature in about 15 years, so I’m a bit out of practice, but I’m relatively pleased with how he turned out. Painting him also helped me point out a few sculpting issues, like how deep seams and cuts should be, and scale of details. So I’ve been keeping that in mind for some other sculpts I’ve been doing which hopefully I’ll be a be able to show soon.

 

SaveSave

Monarchy Fae comp

Here’s the final inks for the Fae race for the Monarchy game I did a while back and didn’t get around to posting. These were fun to do since they were bit different from the other designs. I came up with a kind of pin-up/female pirate look for these characters which seemed to work out nicely. I’m particularly happy with the Sylph and the Fae. I’ve included the colour versions too, can’t remember who coloured them, I always imagined the Sylph having blonde hair, but I particularly like how the Faerie came out, especially her wings.

Monarchy Fae comp colour

The Sidhe

Monrachy - Sidhe thumbnails

It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted anything, thought it was about time to share some stuff I’d been working on. These are some more concept sketches for Oliver Piotrowski for his online game Monarchy. I’d previously designed some vampires characters.

These characters are elven in design, and very magic oriented. I wanted to stay away from the usual clothing that elves are depicted with in a bid to make their appearance look a bit more unique. I felt my initial attempts made them a little too druidic looking, so I decided to try out a more ’emo’ feel to them. I’d also played around with giving them tattoos and markings with a triangular theme, but again I thought this made them a little too scholarly. Instead I kept the triangle theme and adapted it into their outfits, to try to give them a little consistency in their clothing.

There are five troop types in total, and I’ve already inked up three, so I’ll wait until I’ve finished the other two before I post them up.

Vikings!

I haven’t been getting around to posting much recently, been a bit busy with one thing and another, but here’s a few preliminary sketches I’ve done recently. I can’t say too much about them just at the minute, maybe later. I hadn’t really studied vikings much from the point of view of creating character sketches, so it was fun doing a bit of research on armour and weapons. And no Vikings rarely, if at all, wore horns on their helmets!

viking sketches

SaveSave

Turtle-y Blender!

Turtle BI1

I know, I know, bad pun, but what else was I going to call this post!?

Here’s a guy I’ve been working on the past week, for a bit of modelling practice, but also more importantly for texturing practice. I haven’t really done much in the way of painted textures in Blender, so I thought I’d work on this and see where I got to. The AMD Radeon 6750 in my IMac seems to handle the viewport GLSL display pretty well. So here he is. He has a basic rig for posing, but I’m going to work up a proper animation rig over the next couple of weeks and see how he turns out. Might be a bit tricky with the shell, but we’ll see. He doesn’t have a name yet, so suggestions on a postcard, please!

MourneQuest Book Cover

Cob - MourneQuest

This is a digital painting I did a while back for Garry McElherron, based on one of his characters, Cob, from his MourneQuest book. As well as The Shimnavore, it was another collaboration with John Farrelly who originally did the pencil sketch, you can see over on John’s website.

Garry has since released the book on Lulu, and he’s used this as the cover illustration, very exciting. I’d advise going over and taking a look. It’s a great read, and seems set to being a best seller soon, once it becomes readily available in your nearest good bookshop. Keep an eye out for it.

Sally character – wip 2

Here’s the latest mesh of Sally, co-star of our 3d short, iRover. I think this is pretty much the finished mesh now. I still have some tweaks to add in a few folds to her clothes, and I need to work some more on her textures, like her eyelashes, eyebrows and hair. I’ve decided not to use particle hair in this, I still haven’t quite got the hang of it, so I’m sticking to poly hair for now. She’ll also need a couple of wardrobe changes throughout which I’ll work on later. But this will be enough for now to work on a rig. I did some mild tweaking to her face and head, my previous version seemed a little too young in my opinion, you can see the comparison in the pic below. I think you’ll agree she looks a lot more natural.

Sketch Dump #2

I’m not getting as much time as I’d like to get any finished drawings done these days, between one thing and another, but still I’m still managing to get a few sketches done here and there. Here’s a few randoms from my Moleskin.

Sketch dump #1

Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!