So here’s the MourneQuest Kickstarter Campaign page, if you want to get over there quick and get your pledge in before they run out! Created and designed by Backspindle Games and based on Garry McElherron’s MourneQuest books, all the other info is on the Campaign page, and on Backspindle’s Facebook page. I worked on the artwork for the board, coloured up John Farrelly’s character designs and sculpted the collectible miniatures from his designs. It’s the first time I’ve sculpted minis for a game, so it was quite exciting being able to actually see them ‘in the flesh’ I’ve also painted a whole set of them, all 14. I will share them on here eventually, but the only place to keep up to date with it all is over the on the Campaign page for now.
So I’ve finally got around to painting these guys, Steelheart’s Champions from the Shadespire Core set. I decided to paint them with what I hope is the Lions of Sigmar colours. They’re not perfect but quite pleased with how they turned out. Hoping to get a few games out of them next weekend at Lewiscon!
Here’s some more miniature painting practice. It’s been many years since I painted a GW Space Marine, so I thought they would be good to play around with. Nothing fancy, I just wanted to see if I could do a decent job on them. I don’t play, only paint, so I think they’re supposed to be Reivers, but I messed up their knee decals!
It’s Warhammer 40k’s 30th birthday this year, so here’s a some old Marines I found in a box from X number of years ago for comparison. Remember the old Womble marines? Such a big difference in detail!
This is my second set of minis painted, getting a bit more practice after years of not painting minis. This is the Mason’s Guild from the Kickoff set, the season 3 version of Steamforged Games’ Guild Ball. I slightly regret giving them white tops, I think they’ve been better with light blue, but they look okay. The detail on the models themselves is a little lost in places, presumably from the moulding process, but they’re still nice sculpts. I’m working on the second team at the moment, the Brewers Guild. I’ll post them up whenever I get them finished.
So I finally got around to painting up my Shapeways printed model of Clubber King. I hadn’t painted a miniature in about 15 years, so I’m a bit out of practice, but I’m relatively pleased with how he turned out. Painting him also helped me point out a few sculpting issues, like how deep seams and cuts should be, and scale of details. So I’ve been keeping that in mind for some other sculpts I’ve been doing which hopefully I’ll be a be able to show soon.
Here’s the final inks for the Fae race for the Monarchy game I did a while back and didn’t get around to posting. These were fun to do since they were bit different from the other designs. I came up with a kind of pin-up/female pirate look for these characters which seemed to work out nicely. I’m particularly happy with the Sylph and the Fae. I’ve included the colour versions too, can’t remember who coloured them, I always imagined the Sylph having blonde hair, but I particularly like how the Faerie came out, especially her wings.
I’d previously posted some sketches I’d produced for a tabletop miniatures game. Here are the final pieces. I started these off with pencil and paper then took them into Photoshop to give them some shading. The shading was done by rubbing a pencil on paper, scanning it in and creating a pattern from it. Then I just created a new pattern layer and used a layer mask to apply it where I needed it. I used two or three of these layers to build up the darkness. I think it worked out nicely and still left it with the natural look I wanted.
These designs have a dual purpose, firstly they’ll be used as artwork for the racial profiles in the rule book, and secondly as reference for sculptor to create the miniatures.
I’m working on the next race at the moment so I’ll post them once I have a few more of them done.
It’s been even a longer again since I’ve posted anything. It’s not because I haven’t been doing anything, but things have just been a bit hectic all round. I’ve also been working on some more character designs for Monarchy, and I’d been waiting until I finished them all before I posted them. My last posted mentioned the Sidhe race, and these are the final designs for them.
They were coloured by Falk Hänsel, quite nice seeing the colouring someone else has applied to my inks, not necessarily the way I would have coloured them, but I really love how they turned out. Here are the coloured Vampires too.
It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted anything, thought it was about time to share some stuff I’d been working on. These are some more concept sketches for Oliver Piotrowski for his online game Monarchy. I’d previously designed some vampires characters.
These characters are elven in design, and very magic oriented. I wanted to stay away from the usual clothing that elves are depicted with in a bid to make their appearance look a bit more unique. I felt my initial attempts made them a little too druidic looking, so I decided to try out a more ’emo’ feel to them. I’d also played around with giving them tattoos and markings with a triangular theme, but again I thought this made them a little too scholarly. Instead I kept the triangle theme and adapted it into their outfits, to try to give them a little consistency in their clothing.
There are five troop types in total, and I’ve already inked up three, so I’ll wait until I’ve finished the other two before I post them up.