Bit of a random sketch dump this week, a couple of pics from my pub moleskin, and a couple of topical coloured pics where I was testing out various brushes, pens and paper and practicing my colouring in Photoshop. The Dredd pic was done with brush and Tikky pen on very thin paper which wrinkled quite a lot when I blocked ink with the brush, but I was able to save it in the scan. Fink is pretty much based on the classic Mike McMahon pic, thought it would be a great tryout for my Gpen on the bristol board. That’s all, really!
Here are the current set of Vampire concepts for Table Warfare for the online browser game at Monarchy.com as per my previous posts. At some stage in the not too distant future, these will be used as reference for some miniature character sculpts, I’m pretty very excited to see that happen.
There’s a few tweaks to some of the costumes partly because I didn’t like some of the designs and partly because I don’t think they were done very well! Really like the way these have progressed and I’m pretty pleased with how they’re looking now.
And here’s page 3. This one didn’t take quite as long, not as much scene setting details and mostly all character dialogue, I’ve stuck the speech bubbles on roughly to get a gauge of how the page is flowing but that is liable to change. Check out the other pages if you haven’t seen them yet.
Following on from my previous designs for Table Warfare, I’ve made a slight style change to the sketches. I pencilled them out then inked them up with Rotring Tikky pens and a Sharpie for the big blacks, then scanned them into Photoshop where I gave them a bit of texture and depth. I think they make for clearer and stronger images. I’ve added two mages to the vampire roster too. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Here’s another concept design for the Monarchy Game, done in the same style as the previous. I ended up redrawing his head and Photoshopping it over the original pencil drawing. Not sure yet how well this will work as a sculpt and mould but hopefully it should be okay.
I’ve been asked by Table Warfare to produce a few character designs, which will eventually be sculpted into miniatures for their game Monarchy. I produced a few rough thumbnail sketches for poses to run past Oliver. This is the sketch for a female vampire which I produced using the Brushes app on the iPhone.
I wanted the finished art to be a pencil sketch so it could also be used for artwork for the website if necessary. Here’s the pencil sketch which was scanned and worked up in Photoshop with a bit of colour and a few textures thrown into the back ground. I’m going to try to keep this style for all the character designs. I’m really excited to see her in her sculpted form.
I also bought myself a Deleter G-Pen and Ink from DinkyBox.co.uk, along with some Deleter comic paper, but I’m not so keen on how the surface held up to erasing the pencils. It would probably be great to use with a blue pencil and inking over that, or with a light box, however I think I’m going to stick to thick cartridge paper for now, since it seems to be holding up well with the G-Pen. I’ve also been utilising my Pentel Brush Pen which I bought last year readily available in Eason or WHSmith. Once you get a bit of practice with it, it’s great for texturing and solid blacks. The particular version of Type 4 Deleter ink works great with the G-Pen and washes off it easily, but it doesn’t fill well.
This all relates to what I am currently working on. The guys at Conflicting Kingdoms are producing promotional comics to promote the card game, and since I had already worked on the Hexumi deck, I’ve now started to work on the first issue of the Hexumi comic. Time is at a bit of a premium with me at the moment though, so its going to be slow process, but once we get the script finalised it should get a bit faster. In the meantime, here are the pencil and inks for the cover, done with the G-Pen on the Deleter paper. I’ll hold off on showing the colours for now, we’ll leave that til the comics come out!
Woohoo, at last, here’s the third and final part of the Minotaur painting. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I still think I’d have liked to work some more on his face. I also like how the background looks, it really helps to give it a lot of depth. I’ve spent approximately 7 hours on the whole thing. Here’s the final image, let me know what you think…
I bought a copy of Artrage a few months ago and have been playing around with it. I really like the pencil tool so thought I’d have a go at doing a bit of sketching.
I found some notes I’d made in the summer while sitting having a cup of coffee in town. I didn’t have anything to draw on so I just made notes instead. The first note I made was ‘-Fat girl strippy dress short black bob’ so that seemed like a good place to start!
And yes, I know I spelt ‘stripy’ wrong, thanks to the blog police (Steve) for pointing that out! 🙂
This is Sally, she will be the other star of the iRover short, in other words iRover’s owner. I built her head over the past couple of weeks and her body was adapted from the Pepper model I built a while back. I was never happy with Pepper’s head, the topology was very messy and didn’t animate very well. Here’s my initial sketch of her, I did play around with her proportions quite a bit.
So I did a bit of searching and found a few good professional workthroughs on youtube that helped me sort the head topology out. So a quick thank you to Angela Guenette of Ponder Studios for her ‘Sintel’ making of videos:
And also a thank you to Glen Southern over on 3D World’s youtube channel for his 14 episode topology workthrough. Be warned his whole tutorial is around 2 hours long.
After studying these videos for a bit, I started building Sally’s head and got a better feel for the flow of the curves, it’s looks and feels a lot better now, and I’m 100% confidence that it will animate a lot better.