This guy is simply known as War Bull, another sketch which stemmed from a thumbnail I did when I was working on my previous Minotaur some years back.
So here’s the MourneQuest Kickstarter Campaign page, if you want to get over there quick and get your pledge in before they run out! Created and designed by Backspindle Games and based on Garry McElherron’s MourneQuest books, all the other info is on the Campaign page, and on Backspindle’s Facebook page. I worked on the artwork for the board, coloured up John Farrelly’s character designs and sculpted the collectible miniatures from his designs. It’s the first time I’ve sculpted minis for a game, so it was quite exciting being able to actually see them ‘in the flesh’ I’ve also painted a whole set of them, all 14. I will share them on here eventually, but the only place to keep up to date with it all is over the on the Campaign page for now.
So I finally got around to painting up my Shapeways printed model of Clubber King. I hadn’t painted a miniature in about 15 years, so I’m a bit out of practice, but I’m relatively pleased with how he turned out. Painting him also helped me point out a few sculpting issues, like how deep seams and cuts should be, and scale of details. So I’ve been keeping that in mind for some other sculpts I’ve been doing which hopefully I’ll be a be able to show soon.
Here’s the final inks for the Fae race for the Monarchy game I did a while back and didn’t get around to posting. These were fun to do since they were bit different from the other designs. I came up with a kind of pin-up/female pirate look for these characters which seemed to work out nicely. I’m particularly happy with the Sylph and the Fae. I’ve included the colour versions too, can’t remember who coloured them, I always imagined the Sylph having blonde hair, but I particularly like how the Faerie came out, especially her wings.
I’d previously posted some sketches I’d produced for a tabletop miniatures game. Here are the final pieces. I started these off with pencil and paper then took them into Photoshop to give them some shading. The shading was done by rubbing a pencil on paper, scanning it in and creating a pattern from it. Then I just created a new pattern layer and used a layer mask to apply it where I needed it. I used two or three of these layers to build up the darkness. I think it worked out nicely and still left it with the natural look I wanted.
These designs have a dual purpose, firstly they’ll be used as artwork for the racial profiles in the rule book, and secondly as reference for sculptor to create the miniatures.
I’m working on the next race at the moment so I’ll post them once I have a few more of them done.
It’s been even a longer again since I’ve posted anything. It’s not because I haven’t been doing anything, but things have just been a bit hectic all round. I’ve also been working on some more character designs for Monarchy, and I’d been waiting until I finished them all before I posted them. My last posted mentioned the Sidhe race, and these are the final designs for them.
They were coloured by Falk Hänsel, quite nice seeing the colouring someone else has applied to my inks, not necessarily the way I would have coloured them, but I really love how they turned out. Here are the coloured Vampires too.
It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted anything, thought it was about time to share some stuff I’d been working on. These are some more concept sketches for Oliver Piotrowski for his online game Monarchy. I’d previously designed some vampires characters.
These characters are elven in design, and very magic oriented. I wanted to stay away from the usual clothing that elves are depicted with in a bid to make their appearance look a bit more unique. I felt my initial attempts made them a little too druidic looking, so I decided to try out a more ’emo’ feel to them. I’d also played around with giving them tattoos and markings with a triangular theme, but again I thought this made them a little too scholarly. Instead I kept the triangle theme and adapted it into their outfits, to try to give them a little consistency in their clothing.
There are five troop types in total, and I’ve already inked up three, so I’ll wait until I’ve finished the other two before I post them up.
I haven’t been getting around to posting much recently, been a bit busy with one thing and another, but here’s a few preliminary sketches I’ve done recently. I can’t say too much about them just at the minute, maybe later. I hadn’t really studied vikings much from the point of view of creating character sketches, so it was fun doing a bit of research on armour and weapons. And no Vikings rarely, if at all, wore horns on their helmets!
I know, I know, bad pun, but what else was I going to call this post!?
Here’s a guy I’ve been working on the past week, for a bit of modelling practice, but also more importantly for texturing practice. I haven’t really done much in the way of painted textures in Blender, so I thought I’d work on this and see where I got to. The AMD Radeon 6750 in my IMac seems to handle the viewport GLSL display pretty well. So here he is. He has a basic rig for posing, but I’m going to work up a proper animation rig over the next couple of weeks and see how he turns out. Might be a bit tricky with the shell, but we’ll see. He doesn’t have a name yet, so suggestions on a postcard, please!
This is a digital painting I did a while back for Garry McElherron, based on one of his characters, Cob, from his MourneQuest book. As well as The Shimnavore, it was another collaboration with John Farrelly who originally did the pencil sketch, you can see over on John’s website.
Garry has since released the book on Lulu, and he’s used this as the cover illustration, very exciting. I’d advise going over and taking a look. It’s a great read, and seems set to being a best seller soon, once it becomes readily available in your nearest good bookshop. Keep an eye out for it.